There’s a survey floating around on Facebook right now called 15 Writers. In it you take fifteen minutes to list fifteen authors, poets included, who’ve influenced you and will always stick with you. You don’t list them in any preferential order, you go with whatever pops into mind without trying to impress anyone. The point is to do it quickly and see who resonates with you at the present moment. I filled this out on Facebook, but it seemed like a great list to share here on the blog.
When you’re done reading my list, share your list of top 15 influential writers in the comments!
1. Laurie Halse Anderson: YA Novelist of Speak and Wintergirls.
2. Alan Ball (Screenwriter: American Beauty, Six Feet Under)
3. John Green (YA Novelist: Looking For Alaska, Paper Towns)
4. Jeanette Winterson (Adult Novelist: Written on the Body, Art and Lies)
5. Atom Egoyan (Screenwriter: The Sweet Hereafter, Exotica)
6. Alice Sebold (Adult Novelist: The Lovely Bones, Lucky)
7. Paulo Coelhlo (Adult Novelist: The Alchemist)
8. Judy Blume (MG/YA Novelist: Are You There God its Me Margaret, Forever)
9. M.T. Anderson (YA Novelist: Feed, Octavio Nothing)
10. Charlie Kaufman (Screenwriter: Adaptation, Being John Malcovitch)
11. Aaron Sorkin (The West Wing, The Social Network)
12. Jean Hegland (Adult Novelist: Into the Forest)
13. J.K. Rowling (MG/YA Novelist: Harry Potter Books)
14. Christopher Nolan (Screenwriter: Memento, Inception)
15. Susan Collins (YA Novelist: The Hunger Games)
What writers have influenced you?